[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 05:52:51 EST

In a message dated 3/17/2005 7:16:19 P.M. Central Standard Time,
fssturm@unm.edu writes:

3)  Before proceeding, make doubly sure you have spaced the hammers (and
adjusted  the una corda stop screw) as near perfectly as possible, by playing each
note  in turn with pedal fully depressed, muting the right two strings with a
rubber  mute.

Frerd

Thank you for all the advice. I do everything you have suggested. As a
matter of fact, I am going to be teaching a class at the convention on just this
subject, (spacing). It's call "Have heat gun, will travel". It about burning,
spacing, and traveling hammers.

In regard to the pedaling, as I mentioned, I have never seen a piano player
use the pedal as much as this guy does. I mean, he literally rides the thing,
almost as much as the sustain pedal. I don't think I have ever see him NOT
use  it, to some degree.

I read a paper once where a pianist, who also rode the pedal a lot, was
forced to play a recital without the use of the una corda pedal. He had to  adjust
his playing style completely, playing expressively. The review stated he
never sounded so good. That is why I think this professor thinks he is playing
expressively, because he pumps the pedal a lot, but I don't hear the nuances he
 is trying to create.

Wim