[CAUT] Voicing a Yamaha C-7

Clarence Zeches czeches@alltel.net
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:10:34 -0500

I have a college department chair who wants their almost new (2 years
old) Yamaha C-7 voiced down to get a more "German" sound.  The college
built a new performance center and one of the trustees of the college,
who happens to own a Yamaha dealership, gave the school a new C-7.  The
department chair didn't want that piano in the auditorium but that is
where the trustee wanted it to go.

I think the Auditorium seats about 350 and has fairly good acoustics.
The room is used for theater performances as well.  She complains that
the piano is very bright and overpowers a vocalist, even if accompanist
uses the shift pedal.

I guess my question is can I ever get that "German" sound out of Yamaha
hammers?  If so, what is my best approach with the needles?

Clarence Zeches