[CAUT] Voicing a Yamaha C-7

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:17:58 -0800

I guess the question is what is a German sound?  You can certainly voice
a Yamaha down and a new C7 should be able to produce a warmer and
rounder tone than you are apparently getting if voiced properly.  The
best approach, i.e. where to stick the needles, will depend on the goal
and the current condition of the hammers.  The usual process of creating
resilience (springiness) in the shoulders, work toward the strike point
to take out harshness on a firm blow and trim it out with sugar coating
and lots of single string needling to smooth out the attack should work.
I've found the new C-7 hammers to be very workable and I don't think you
will need to change the hammers or resort to more radical treatments of
soaking with hammers with alchohol which tends to change the structure
of the hammer a bit too much for my liking.  I would certainly start
with needles before resorting to more drastic measures.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Clarence Zeches
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 1:11 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] Voicing a Yamaha C-7

I have a college department chair who wants their almost new (2 years
old) Yamaha C-7 voiced down to get a more "German" sound.  The college
built a new performance center and one of the trustees of the college,
who happens to own a Yamaha dealership, gave the school a new C-7.  The
department chair didn't want that piano in the auditorium but that is
where the trustee wanted it to go.

I think the Auditorium seats about 350 and has fairly good acoustics.
The room is used for theater performances as well.  She complains that
the piano is very bright and overpowers a vocalist, even if accompanist
uses the shift pedal.

I guess my question is can I ever get that "German" sound out of Yamaha
hammers?  If so, what is my best approach with the needles?

Clarence Zeches