[CAUT] Voicing a Yamaha C-7

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:15:57 -0700

On 3/21/05 2:10 PM, "Clarence Zeches" <czeches@alltel.net> wrote:

> I guess my question is can I ever get that =B3German=B2 sound out of Yamaha
> hammers?  If so, what is my best approach with the needles?

    I=B9ve managed on occasion to get a reasonable facsimile of =B3German sound=
=B2
out of, gulp, even Young Chang hammers. Standard needling procedures:
consistent deep shoulder from just below 3 o=B9clock/9 o=B9clock up to 1
o=B9clock/11o=B9clock. Then angle the voicing tool to vertical, and rotate to
angled away from the center of the striking point as you approach 12
o=B9clock, needling right to the striking point. Plus a bit of cross stitchin=
if =B3indicated.=B2 And squeeze the needles into the felt, don=B9t jab (less
tearing of felt, more development of =B3resilience=B2).
    Obviously you will be working with whatever has been done before, so a
sensitive hand is a must. But if the instrument is definitely perceived as
harsh, and you are trying to change the whole character of the beast, a
full-scale full hammer approach is probably indicated.
    While some brands of hammer may be easier to work with than others, the
bottom line is that any hammer requires TLC to get good results. I think th=
=B3German sound=B2 is mostly the result of lots of work by a Klavierbauer. (Yes=
,
all right, the portion of the German sound that is attributable to the
hammer alone, not the whole instrument).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico