[CAUT] D complimented

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:26:04 -0800

The screw in the dag set the action in the correct spot according=
 to the cheek blocks.   Once set he didn't have to use the cheek=
 blocks.  Once done, turning in the dag screw brought the cheek=
 blocks back into the equation, i.e. they could be adjusted in=
 the future to move the action in....that's my take and I'm=
 sticking to it.

David I.

Original message
From: Avery Todd
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] D complimented

Roger,

Some great suggestions. One question though. Why do you turn the=
 dag screws in after
voicing. It seems like that would change the strike point where=
 you'd been doing the
voicing. What am I missing here?

Avery

At 08:45 PM 3/20/2005, you wrote:

Hi Wim,
               I'm happy every thing worked out for you. =3DD>

Some suggestions that may be helpful to you.

I have added Dag screws to the D's I look after. It makes voicing=
 a lot easier I can quickly push the action into position, and=
 not have to worry about cheek blocks and the sustenuto rod=
 giving problems. After voicing, I back the screws inwards a=
 quarter of a turn.

I have a couple of pieces of laminated card, so I can depress the=
 pedal, and slip it at the bass end of the action.  This will=
 give an accurate half pedal position, makes it easy to get=
 consistent voicing in this position.  The thickness of the card=
 is half the thickness of the Agraffe holes.

To get good contrast at half pedal, using the string marks on the=
 hammer for a guide.  Chop stick needling tool, (single needle) =
 Insert needle 1-1.5mm directly into crown, vertical to molding,=
 and dead centre of string marks.   I find it faster to reverse=
 the action into the action cavity.  It is also more accurate,=
 than leaning over a larger concert grand action.

Check half peddle voicing with card inserted at bass end.  Chalk=
 mark the keys that require corrective action. I like to run=
 Chromatic scales at both pp and ff.  Checking for evenness.

Regards Roger