[CAUT] Voicing a Yamaha C-7

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:27:27 -0800

Yeah, I'm with Dave on this.   Forget the hammer soaking unless=
 you really want a can-o-worms...

David I.

Original message
From: David Love
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Voicing a Yamaha C-7

I guess the question is what is a German sound?  You can=
 certainly voice a Yamaha down and a new C7 should be able to=
 produce a warmer and rounder tone than you are apparently=
 getting if voiced properly.  The best approach, i.e. where to=
 stick the needles, will depend on the goal and the current=
 condition of the hammers.  The usual process of creating=
 resilience (springiness) in the shoulders, work toward the=
 strike point to take out harshness on a firm blow and trim it=
 out with sugar coating and lots of single string needling to=
 smooth out the attack should work.  I=92ve found the new C-7=
 hammers to be very workable and I don=92t think you will need to=
 change the hammers or resort to more radical treatments of=
 soaking with hammers with alchohol which tends to change the=
 structure of the hammer a bit too much for my liking.  I would=
 certainly start with needles before resorting to more drastic=
 measures.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net