[CAUT] Voicing a Yamaha C-7

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:38:28 -0600

We have a C7 in a small auditorium at our Art Museum (seats about 100).
I've just done normal voicing and gotten a very nice sound.  I do tend
to go for striking surface voicing which is fast and effective.  Needles
horizontal .5mm under the string grooves.

=20

dp

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Clarence Zeches
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 3:11 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] Voicing a Yamaha C-7

=20

I have a college department chair who wants their almost new (2 years
old) Yamaha C-7 voiced down to get a more "German" sound.  The college
built a new performance center and one of the trustees of the college,
who happens to own a Yamaha dealership, gave the school a new C-7.  The
department chair didn't want that piano in the auditorium but that is
where the trustee wanted it to go. =20

=20

I think the Auditorium seats about 350 and has fairly good acoustics.
The room is used for theater performances as well.  She complains that
the piano is very bright and overpowers a vocalist, even if accompanist
uses the shift pedal. =20

=20

I guess my question is can I ever get that "German" sound out of Yamaha
hammers?  If so, what is my best approach with the needles?

=20

Clarence Zeches

=20

=20