[CAUT] Voicing a Yamaha C-7

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:02:39 EST

=20
In a message dated 3/21/05 5:35:50 P.M. Central Standard Time, =20
czeches@alltel.net writes:

I have a college department chair  who wants their almost new (2 years old)=20
Yamaha C-7 voiced down to get a more  =E2=80=9CGerman=E2=80=9D sound.  The c=
ollege built  a=20
new performance center and one of the trustees of the college, who happens =20=
to=20
own a Yamaha dealership, gave the school a new C-7.  The department chair di=
dn=E2=80=99
t want that  piano in the auditorium but that is where the trustee wanted it=
=20
to go.  =20
I think the Auditorium seats about  350 and has fairly good acoustics.  The=20
room is used for theater  performances as well.  She  complains that the pia=
no=20
is very bright and overpowers a vocalist, even if  accompanist uses the shif=
t=20
pedal.   =20
I guess my question is can I ever  get that =E2=80=9CGerman=E2=80=9D sound o=
ut of Yamaha=20
hammers?  If so, what is my best approach with  the needles?=20
Clarence  Zeches

Clarence.=20
=20
I want to take a different approach to the problem. You say the department =20
chair wants to change the voicing of the piano.  Are there other faculty =20
members who agree with her? What, if anything, has the public said about the=
 =20
problem? Since the trustee gave the piano, even against the wishes of the =20
department chair, it is going to be difficult for you to change the characte=
r of  the=20
piano without "insulting" the trustee. After, all he gave the piano, and =20
since he owns a piano store, some people are going to assume he is more of a=
n =20
"expert" than some department chair, much less the piano tuner.=20
=20
I would wait to do something until other people, besides the department =20
chair, complain about the volume of the piano. Public pressure on the =20
trustee/dealer, will be more effective than trying to change the sound to su=
it  another=20
person.=20
=20
Just a thought.