[CAUT] about magnets

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:18:47 -0500

Ed and all,
 there is the distinct possibility that European Union regulatory =
agencies will be setting the standard for manufacturing in the world =
soon as they are the largest market (500 million) for pianos in the =
world (the Chinese have potential, but the reality of buying lags and =
they have apparently little interest in self regulation) and the =
strongest currency in the world. The banning of lead was discussed at =
Nashville last year at the Stanwood/ExecuKey booth by Ulrich Sauter, the =
Abel brothers, Bob Marinelli, Ray Negron,  David, myself and others. =
David Stanwood was already showing an alternative material and =
manufacturing process
. Assist springs are not a replacement for lead but an add on. The MBA =
folks are trying to supply theer design as an alternative to lead as =
with their design there is no key weighting so the issue is avoided, =
oops except for the damper levers. The real alternative will pobably be =
an alternative material not a design. As Ulrich Sauter said the real =
problem will be getting the first manufacturer to commit to production =
as no one wants to be first. Then the next problem will be everyone =
accepting a standard. I think the interesting thing here is, will =
manufacturers make two different approaches one for Europe and one for =
everywhere else or will what has happened so far with regulations  and =
the EU ( JAck Welch and GE, MIcrosoft, etc) happen to pianos. =
Manufacturers may only want to make one piano for all markets. This is =
an interesting question. Any speculation?  Any crying of the pundits? An =
airing of the collective ignorance? Well whatever, the times they are a =
changin'     again. =20
TO be specific Ed the MBAs (magnetic balanced actions)  do not feel =
anything (to my fingers and others I have talked to) like a traditional =
design. They can be adapted to, i.e., one can get used to them, but I =
don't think anyone has enough information yet to say whether concert =
artists will accept the change. Assist sprints have been around for a =
long time and work well to reduce lead, or any kind of weighting in the =
keys, but they are part of the traditional design palate and feel only =
slightly different. The adjustment screw for the assist springs invented =
by Bill Ballard and David Stanwood and refined by Randy Morton and Bob =
Marinelli has improved this approach a great deal. I wouldn't be too =
concerned about the wearing out business or the frequency of adjustment =
as MBAs have their own regulation needs so that's a wash, and by the =
time the assist springs wear out you will probably need new wippens as =
happpens anyway. It's just one more spring to regulate. And what happens =
to MBAs when the other parts (oh yes there is more to the story) besides =
the magnets wear? My personal opinion is that MBA is a fine advance but =
it  may die on the evolutionary branch because it is more different or =
is that differenter? more differenter?? most different...
This is all just beginning so we have time to get ready, and maybe even =
develop protocols in advance, but for now it would be a good idea to =
learn how to regulate both MBA and assist spring actions properly. Right =
now Renner and Pianotek offer assistance with the assistance springs at =
convention classes but as far as I am aware MBA is only available to =
those who go to the weeklong seminars and become licensed installers. =
Certainly at present there are many more assist spring actions in the =
world we live in. How many CAUT members have MBA actions in their school =
inventories?=20
Anyone interested in an open forum on topic here?   Thanks, Chris =
Solliday=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20