[CAUT] about magnets

Danny L Tassin tassin@msu.edu
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:00:44 -0500

Hi,

Chris is pretty much correct, here.  The MBA demonstration booth at the
Nashville Convention was impressive.   However,  I understood it to be one
of "Touch Weight"  control, and adjusting the Key Touch / Weight (control)
for each and every (different) pianist for that "one" particular piano this
system was installed in.   The whole idea was to not settle on "one" touch
weight for the whole keyboard, but to "vary" the touch weight for that one
piano anywhere from 46 - 58 grams touch weight ...  i.e: "stiffer" (I use
that word very loosely) action for harder performers, "lighter" action(s)
for the softer, more delicate performers.  In my assessment of the product,
it purely boils down to personal preference and how one wants to feel the
"touch weight" of the keys under their fingers.  However, I'm sure most
piano instructors across this nation in universities will not be ready any
time soon to deal with varying key weight controls because it's hard enough
to get their students to master the skills they teach on one piano with just
one (non-adjustable) key weight.

Go to the web-site these guys have supplied you.  You can make your own
assessment of the product.  However, it is a very complicated installation.
The person who said it, is correct  --  you have to apply for "their"
training class(es) and it ain't cheap, gang.

I can see a big future for the use of this system, but it's just like the
invention of VCR's.  Which one of you out there paid  $1500 + for a VCR in
the late 70's that you can get today (even better) for less than $75 bucks
in Wal Mart or most electronic stores.   I think when this system is
installed in more pianos that will be put to more use on the stages around
the world, I believe you'll see it take off like a  "duck to water."  Like I
said, it was very impressive, right now. But, I can't afford it, and right
now, most all colleges, schools, Universities cannot and will not budget for
that right now. It is in it's infancy.  So, keep those brass gram weights in
your tool boxes just a bit longer.

(PS:  I always thought brass rod cut to different sizes, weigh for
measurement, and installed in keys instead of leads was a much better idea.
However, brass is a lot more expensive, and it will tarnish more than lead
weights (unless you spray coat them to resist oxidation).  Depends on how
much money one wants to spend, and how much more time you have to deal with
that material.)

Thoughts,  anyone ???

Dan Tassin, RPT
Piano Tech.