[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:00:17 -0700

On 3/21/05 2:30 PM, "Chris Solliday" <solliday@ptd.net> wrote:

> The trouble with being unaware is that one is unaware of being unaware. C=
hris
> Solliday

    Actually, other than making a triple negative and offering opportunitie=
for a few wisecracks, I think that Chris, in his typical cryptic way, was
making a good point. He was commenting on my post, where I said that as a
young pianist I didn=B9t think much of the una corda pedal because I had neve=
played a piano that had been well-regulated and voiced (specifically with
respect to una corda). So I was unaware of the possibilities, and =B3unaware
that I was unaware.=B2 Hence I had a prejudice that was unwarranted, and was
missing a very important skill.
    Which brings me to the reason I am bothering to parse Chris=B9 prose: As
caut=B9s we have a very special responsibility. We are the ones who give the
ever new generation of pianists their experience of what a piano can be. To
the extent we succeed in giving them instruments to practice and perform on
that are responsive, that have all kinds of subtlety possible by virtue of
regulation and voicing, we will have helped educate not only them but their
students. We will raise their expectations, so when they go somewhere else
they will know what is possible and will demand it. Which is why I give a
great deal of emphasis (as much as my limited time allows) to keeping the
piano major practice grands in as close to performance shape as I can, alon=
with piano faculty and the concert instruments. The rest of the inventory
can be average.=20
    If I don=B9t provide pianos that have had a good una corda voicing, as on=
example, the piano students who play them won=B9t learn what the possibilitie=
are, and they will be unaware of being unaware.
    Nuff of that <g>

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico