[CAUT] from piano technician, Thailand.

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:12:49 -0600

Hello Timur,

I see that you are a University Technician, but haven't noticed whether
anyone's responded to your question yet.

The problem you describe is a little complicated, so let me suggest this for
starters:

Go to www.RennerUSA.com click on the "technician's pages" and select
"Voicing the Renner Hammer"

At very least, this is a good orderly approach for dealing with the likely
causes of the noise you describe: hammer condition, string bearings and
terminations, and hammer-to-string mating.

It might be helpful to follow this process step-by-step for all the notes in
one octave only, to see if it helps. (you mention agraffes, so perhaps the
tenor section)

It will also be helpful for you to determine whether the noise is from
hammer/string condition, or from the soundboard, loose bridge-pins, plate,
cabinet, etc.

(pluck the string and listen for noise)

Finally, there is an excellent article on agraffes in this month's PTJournal
www.PTG.org

I've had several situations where 'forte' noise appeared "after" string
lifting/leveling. It was from the agraffes and was only corrected by
vigorous string-lifting on the "other" (non-speaking) side of the agraffe.
This noise is more "rattle" than "buzz" however, so it may not be the
problem you describe.

please write again with any questions,

sincerely,
Mark Cramer,