[CAUT] Breaking strings/Una Chorda pedaling

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:46:23 -0500

The recent discussions about the "over zealous" use of the una chorda
pedal may have helped to explain why one of my piano profs has broken
12 strings on her teaching piano this semester alone.  This is a
Steinway B, the only piano of the 11 B's and 2 new Ds we bought in 1994
which has had even one broken string, let alone now, most of the 6th
octave, some twice.

Yes, the hammers are beginning to need filing, but they've gotten it
since most of the others have and nobody else is breaking strings.  The
grooves aren't all that deep, but there is evidence that the hammers
are hitting the strings in many varied positions.

Other than this piano, broken strings here are a pretty rare
occurrence.  So, I'm wondering if una chorda technique may have
something to do with it.  A few weeks ago, I reduced her power in the
6th octave - lowered let off and raised the hammer line - to see if
that might make a difference.  I was beginning to think this cured the
problem until she called me today with three more broken strings - the
last of the originals between one or two notes below the treble break
(E6?, maybe one on D#6?) and C7.  Capo feels very smooth and rounded -
not sharp, and you can't even detect any string grooves, so I don't
think that's the problem.  The broken strings are not limited to one
wire size, so it wasn't just a faulty batch of wire either, and like I
said, some have been replaced twice now.

She is a heavy hitter, but claims these broke while playing mezzo forte
or softer - which leads to my theory.

If you have any suggestions at all why else this piano might be
breaking strings, I'm entertaining all comers.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music