[CAUT] KC Convention

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 05 May 2005 17:28:04 -0600

Hi all,
    I'd like to urge everyone to join us this summer in Kansas City. The
CAUT Committee once again has a full day of activities planned (Friday this
year):
Humidity Control retrofit as part of an HVAC rehabilitation. David Barr will
share his experience from last summer, when Duquesne University did just
that to their music building. Some practical, real-life details that (we
dream) could apply to all of us some year.

Keeping complex records on a computer, using a relational database. Don
McKechnie and Alan McCoy will team teach based on their use of Filemaker and
Access to keep track of inventory, tuning, maintenance, re-building,
scheduling and the like.

Curriculum - teaching classes about the piano to music students. Alan McCoy
will present a more or less complete set of curriculum and materials he has
developed over the past two years, drawing from a number of fellow cauts.
This preliminary material is posted on the caut web page, and Alan will
introduce it in detail, urge us all to make use of it and add to it, and
will share some of his experience from teaching a course last summer.

Open Forum will focus particularly on the development of a CAUT Credential.
See the CAUT Newsletter (soon to appear in electronic form) for an article
outlining our current thoughts along those lines.

If you would like to invite a faculty member to attend the CAUT events,
please do so: registration is free for this purpose (solely for attendance
at caut events, for invited faculty). The Humidity Control session might be
of particular interest. Please take advantage of this opportunity if you
have a faculty member who might be interested.

A wee bit of "self-promotion": I'll be teaching two classes on the
harpsichord. The first will look briefly at the history of the modern
harpsichord, and then will dig into structure and design. The second will
look mostly at troubleshooting - dealing with typical problems - along with
basic regulation and maintenance.

I hope to see many of you there!
Regards,
Fred Sturm