[CAUT] Loose Capstans

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 9 May 2005 17:12:20 -0500

Loose CapstansHey Ken,

Haven't had to deal with the loose capstan thing, but I did just =
recently buy and use "oderless" CA.  It costs a lot more (was it $15.00 =
per ounce--including tax?) but well worth it!

Barbara Richmond, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ken Zahringer=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 4:02 PM
  Subject: [CAUT] Loose Capstans

  I encountered a new phenomenon the other day.  One of the piano =
faculty told me one note on his 1920's vintage Steinway wasn't working, =
so I went to check it out.  When I pulled the action, I saw that the =
offending hammer was sitting all the way down on the cushion.  After =
eliminating all the causes I could think of, I started adjusting the =
capstan.  The capstan was extremely loose - it took almost no force to =
turn it.  The threads were still intact, but it was so loose that =
apparently the impact of playing caused the capstan to screw itself down =
into the key.  There were one or two other keys where the hammers had =
sagged almost as much, but were still functional.  A quick survey =
indicated that the whole keyboard probably needs attention.

  Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?  I'm thinking of =
maybe West System epoxy or Webb Phillips' Wood Rebuilder, but then =
again, I do have a bottle of Garfields Pinblock Restorer around here =
somewhere. :-)  I don't know what the long term effects on future =
adjustments might be of any particular fix.  Just don't suggest CA glue. =
 The last time I used that stuff my sinuses were plugged solid for a =
week.

  Thanks,
  Ken Z.
  --=20