[CAUT] Loose Capstans

Brad Smith staff@smithpiano.com
Mon, 9 May 2005 20:24:06 -0400

Loose CapstansHi Ken,
CA glue has it's various schools of for and against.
In any case, you need to resize those capstan holes with something.
Wood Rebuilder could do it, if you carefully control consistency, but it
might create more work than needed, if the holes have to be drilled again
from
being too full of the stuff.      Odorless CA glue, as Barbara suggests
might be a good option.
If you are dead set against CA glue, you might try hot hide glue for sizing.

I had to fix this same problem on a Steinway D, after the same note kept
showing up with the hammer laying there like a dead fish.
I checked them all and there must have been at least two dozen loose or
'getting loose' capstans.
I do remember backing the offending capstans all the way out first.
Then, I experimented to see how much glue and time it took to get the
tightness required,
without having to cut new threads in the hole.

Once holes were glue-sized, it has not happened again.

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
www.smithpiano.com

 The threads were still intact, but it was so loose that apparently the
impact of playing caused the capstan to screw itself down into the key.