[CAUT] Steinway hammers with pre-voicing solution

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 12 May 2005 17:34:20 EDT

<< Anyway, I did not pursue the matter with Steinway. Has anyone here
done so? The "pre-voicing" seems to me to be a fairly heavy
lacquering. Can lacquer-free hammers be had at all from Steinway? >>

The last two sets of their hammers were soft, soft, soft.  I don't think they
had any hardner in them.  I had to juice them heavily to make the piano
speak.
      I differ with the current Steinway method,.  I squirt it on from the
low shoulder and let it wick upwards, rather than soaking them from the contact
point downward.

Ed Foote RPT