[CAUT] Steinway hammers with pre-voicing solution

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 12 May 2005 17:24:03 -0600

On 5/12/05 3:34 PM, "A440A@aol.com" <A440A@aol.com> wrote:

> << Anyway, I did not pursue the matter with Steinway. Has anyone here
> done so? The "pre-voicing" seems to me to be a fairly heavy
> lacquering. Can lacquer-free hammers be had at all from Steinway? >>
>
> The last two sets of their hammers were soft, soft, soft.  I don't think they
> had any hardner in them.  I had to juice them heavily to make the piano
> speak.
>     I differ with the current Steinway method,.  I squirt it on from the
> low shoulder and let it wick upwards, rather than soaking them from the
> contact
> point downward.
>

> Ed Foote RPT
> http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html
> www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html

Ditto. The last three sets I got did not appear to have been lacquered. I
sure think I can tell <g>. Note that all hammers have a bit of lacquer
applied to the felt tips (below the staple) prior to pressing, mostly as a
kind of glue size I think. Maybe that's what they are saying. Who did you
ask, Sharon Rebele? Kent Webb? I think it's definitely worth pursuing. We
can all gang up on them in KC and back them into a corner <g>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico