[CAUT] Steinway hammers with pre-voicing solution

Tim Geinert, R.P.T. geinert@drtel.net
Sat, 14 May 2005 12:31:03 -0500

What I described in my last post was what I saw at the factory when I was
there for the 1st of their series of classes (I think it is called
"comprehensive piano service") in January of 2001.    For what it's worth,
we spent a lot of time touring the factory.  It was fascinating, and I would
go again if I got the chance, but I expected more time working on pianos.

This is what happened.  We were walking through the hammer section of the
action department; presses, tapering, boring, etc., when we came to a
station where a fellow was holding a card (I say card, but I presume it was
something more permanent than paper) over the hammers he had clamped up, and
was applying lacquer from a squeeze bottle.  I don't recall if it was a set
or a  section.  I remember that the information on the card was both graphic
and text.  I asked what was happening there, and the answer was what lead me
to write the following post.

>>  At the factory, they have a template for each model's set of hammers,
>> and
>> after the set is cut and preshaped, they are then lined up, and lacquered
>> as
>> per the guide on the template.  As I recall, the entire set does not
>> necessarily get juiced, and each section that does get juiced is not
>> necessarily soaked, only as the template dictates, and it's different for
>> each model.  All the hammers go through this step, the same as any step
>> in
>> the process.  Their goal, as I understand it, is just to get the hammers
>> headed in the right direction, not make them hard.

That particular set of hammers he had there was for a B.  I really did
understand that this was standard procedure for all the sets of hammers
produced.

All that being said,  I recognize that I may not have gotten the whole
story, or a complete understanding,  in the time I spent at the station.  It
is also possible that they do not have an obligation to tell us everything
about what they are doing, and maybe that is why it is so difficult to get
consistent answers from the various people we have contact with.  That has
been my experience and is also reflected in all the posts to this thread.
It is interesting, though, that not everyone there gives the same answers,
considering that they say they never really change anything at the factory,
or if they do, it takes forever.  Almost like they need a special
dispensation from the Pope to change anything.

I have been told over and over again that excatly the same parts get boxed
and sent to Shannon as get sent to the factory, which is why we cannot buy
anything but current production from them no matter what our needs.  For
that reason I have not ordered hammers from them for 3 years or so, because
I had committed (or should have been committed) to hang a set of hammers on
old 15.5 mm pin to knuckle shanks and needed lighter hammers for that
application.  I was able to work  through and get what I needed from Ray at
Ronsen, and have not had a reason to buy hammers from anyone else since.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!  (sort of)

TG