[CAUT] Steinway hammers with pre-voicing solution

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sat, 14 May 2005 20:13:28 -0600

Hi Tim,
    Thanks so much for the clarification. I guess I need to quiz some people
more closely to sort out the various versions I have heard (and seen -
although in my case it was "negative seeing," in the form of neither seeing
nor smelling any lacquer in the hammer department).
    There does appear to be a constantly evolving process in both the action
and hammer departments. Last fall I saw brand new equipment for precisely
machining hammer felt prior to pressing, using CAD devises guided by lasers.
Very impressive improvement in symmetry of felt around the molding, compared
to a year earlier.
    One thing I am kind of guessing with regard to lacquer in the factory is
that the application is in the "finish/prep" part of the process rather than
manufacture. IOW, there are semi-skilled folks who apply lacquer by template
at some point before the piano enters the voicing/final regulation/prep
booth. Thus saving time of the more skilled guys who do that work. If that
is so, then both things may be true: lacquer is applied at the factory
(well, we knew it was during the finish process, but it could happen on the
floor), and hammers sold to the technical public have no lacquer besides
that little corner dip (which replaced the gray stuff, which had been
determined to be a toxic chemical). Like I say, a pure guess, but one which
might fit the evidence.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico