[CAUT] pros and cons of individual strings

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sun, 15 May 2005 18:11:34 -0600

On 5/15/05 8:08 AM, "Avery Todd" <atodd@uh.edu> wrote:

> I've restrung one Bose since I've been here at UH but I was lucky enough to
> find out that
> I could order them "pre-looped". It was just like putting on a bass string.
> Unfortunately,
> they didn't have any available at the time in this country so Roger (wasn't
> it?) had to
> order them. The shipping costs from Vienna were much more than the actual
> cost of the wire,
> but at the time, we had the money available & it was VERY much worth it to me!
>
> Avery
    I've restrung a couple pianos with individual tails throughout, as well
as a couple Mason A's (third string of every unison is tied most of the way
through the scale). I got quite good at using the looping machine (I got it
from APSCO, but it's like Schaff #115). There is definitely a good deal of
finesse needed to make the machine work well and consistently, having to do
with how much friction is applied, and how much to let up gradually. But all
in all, I found tying the tails only added maybe a couple hours to the job.
Tying every loop by hand would be a bit of a nightmare, though, and it does
take practice to get acceptable results from the looper.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico