[CAUT] Steinway hammers with pre-voicing solution

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Sun, 15 May 2005 19:28:18 -0700

What's all this about "lacquering," anyway?  One would think there's nother
finishing medium appropriate to voicing.

In my experience, I often prefer shellac -- gives the hammers a nice,
glowing, and warm tone. Now for a breakdown of the tonal qualities of other
finish products:

Want a  "utilitarian tone"?   I find that polyurethane does the job.
Water-based acrylic tends toward a certain lucid, occasionally brilliant,
timbre.  Tung oil results in what I call a "lugubrious sound."  And, of
course, spar varathane is a must on boat-bound instruments.  And the
resultant tone certainly makes one wish to sail away (with all possible
alacrity).

Anyway, just some thoughts at the end of a hard day of spraying finish with
a leaky filtration mask.

JeffO