[CAUT] Schimmel attacked by fabric softener

HepplerA@aol.com HepplerA@aol.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 10:43:45 EDT

One quick question for you more experienced techs out there. . .
I have a 7' Schimmel on consignment in the  store I work for that needs some
radical changes in the voicing.  To the  request of the previous owner, the
bass and upper treble sections have been  voiced down considerably.
Unfortunately, the tooner used fabric softener  as well as excessive steam, as I'm
guessing from the shrinkage.  I have  just spent a couple weeks with Boesendorfer in
one-on-one voicing training, so  I'm comfortable with most voicing jobs, but
this is nasty.  The top 1/4" or  so is as soft as gym socks, it smells like
Downy, and there's even a few scorch  marks in the bass.  Is there any point in
trying to save this set of  hammers, or should I save myself the agony and
just replace them?  O.K.,  now, control your grimaces. :)

Elizabeth Heppler, R.P.T.
Montana State University - Bozeman