[CAUT] Schimmel attacked by fabric softener

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Sat, 21 May 2005 21:02:11 -0400

Jeff-

For about 2 years I've been finishing most tunings with a very light spritz of rubbing alcohol with about 1/32 of fabric softener and a very light pass over the hammers with a brass brush.  I emphasize -VERY LIGHT- in both cases.  More recently I've stopped adding the fabric softener, and can't hear any difference in the result.

I have wondered if the fabric softener smell is better customer relations than pure rubbing alcohol.  A few drops would do that.

Perhaps a pounding test would show the fabric softener voicing lasts longer?

The formulas using fabric softener always used rubbing alcohol as the carrier. (A few years ago it was suggested to apply it very heavily to the shoulders, like hammer hardener. It's a fast way to ruin hammers; don't do it unless you are ready to replace the hammers if they come unglued from the moulding.)

My feeling at this time is that the water in the rubbing alcohol is the effective agent.  The alcohol carries it a little deeper into the felt, and the dilution makes sure that it is a very small amount of water.

It also feels good on a bald head after a difficult tuning.

Ed Sutton

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Olson
To: College and University Technicians
Sent: 5/21/2005 7:27:54 PM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Schimmel attacked by fabric softener

The interesting question here to me is the effectiveness of fabric softener as a voicing tool.  Is it possible that it could be effective, if used intelligently, minus all the steaming, burning, etc.?  What is the active ingredient in fabric softener, anyway (I must confess I've never used the stuff; I like my clothes rough and macho, fabricly speaking;-).

Jeffo