[CAUT] key sticks

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sun, 29 May 2005 10:09:13 -0500

Kent:
=20
Are the mortises that far off on the black keys as well?  On the white =
keys it shouldn't be too hard (well, since it's you doing it and not me) =
to extend the mortise, or plug & re-mortise it.  Black key mortises as =
so much more fragile that it would really be tricky.  At what point so =
we just order new keys?
=20
dave
=20
__________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org on behalf of Kent Swafford
Sent: Sat 5/28/2005 7:46 PM
To: Submit technical files to ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] key sticks

I'm sending along 2 pictures of the F1 keystick, B 342631. Note the 7=20
original key leads, and the non-original leather key bushings. But=20
why I'm writing is the interesting location of the wear in the key=20
bushing from contact with the front rail pin. The whole set of keys=20
is similar, and under certain circumstances the front rail pins do=20
indeed bind on the front of the mortise. (This explains a few things!)

Any ideas out there with regard to what happened? It looks like the=20
mortise is in the wrong place by just over 1/16". Anything else to=20
watch out for? I know, I know -- watch for  _everything_. But it=20
probably is just the mortise in the wrong place, right?

Kent

Photos at:

http://tinyurl.com/cyygq

http://tinyurl.com/ao697