[CAUT] impact hammer

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:34:50 -0400

I would say, most people, would find the type of hammer they learned on, the most comfortable. They are familiar with it.
Having said that, I intend to try an impact hammer, when I go to Rochester next year.
I hope, the people selling them, have a piano there, so a person can try the feel.
It seems to me, most do not have the piano available, for trial purposes.
I know, now I am going to have a slew of people say, I had a piano, and you didn't try it then.   :-(
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff Tanner
  To: College and University Technicians
  Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 4:03 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] impact hammer

  On Nov 11, 2005, at 2:13 PM, Otto Keyes wrote:

    If you guys had started out learning to tune with that level of patience & commitment you'd still be digging ditches!!

  Nah, I had much more confidence in that first "Trophy" brand tuning hammer than I felt with the impact hammer - at least the impact hammer I tried.  It's one thing to have patience in learning a skill -- completely something else to not have any confidence in the tool used to do the job.  Like learning to dig a ditch with a shovel that has a hinge in the handle.

  Just like if I had to learn to tune with the finest Schaff hammers that they sell today, I'd trade them for something that gave me more control as soon as I found it.  Other folk seem to be able to use the Schaff tools just fine.

    *&^%*()(%$%# thing won't work!  Must be the %^*&X@# hammer's fault!

  Not what I meant at all.  I like the control I have with the tool I use and was so VERY uncomfortable with the feel of the impact hammer I didn't feel like it was worth pursuing for me at this time.  It wasn't that I couldn't move the pitch precisely - it was that I had absolutely no confidence or any way to test (feel) whether the pin torque was at a balance and the tuning was stable.  Quite often the tool would simply twist the pin - the pitch would move and the pin did not move in the hole.  I just had zero confidence.

  Not knocking the tool or the idea.  At this time in life, it's just not something I have time to relearn, or the money to spend.

  (Ditch digging might not be such a bad alternative. We'd be getting exercise, fresh air, and if you get with the right company, you'd probably earn more and have better benefits than many of us!)

  Jeff

  Jeff Tanner, RPT
  University of South Carolina