[CAUT] Keydip--how deep

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:34:25 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2005 1:21:07 PM Central Standard Time,
piano57@insightbb.com writes:

I suppose what it really comes down to is how  much difference in power there
would be between 1 7/8" blow and 1 3/4"?   Significant?  This is a really big
hall (a bit less than 3500 seats), so  power is an issue.

Right now (with Crescendo punchings) dip is at  .401" (my .391 block with a
.010" punching added), blow around 1 3/4" with  .030" aftertouch.  It feels a
lot better <to me> than when the blow  was at 1 7/8", though I didn't have any
complaints when the dip was  deeper.  I did go back and read a bunch of stuff
in the archives about  dip and folks reported that they didn't have complaints
about deep dip, but I  don't recall anyone getting real specific about how
deep they were  actually willing to go.

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Barbara Richmond, RPT

Blow should be closer to 1 7/8" Dip should be in the .400 range, as has  been
mentioned, as long as you have after touch.

One thing I try for, and have had no complaints, is a real tight let off. I
try to get as close to the string as possible, less than 1/16", which then
also allows you to reduce drop slightly, which give you a little more  breathing
room for the aftertouch.

Wim