[CAUT] Steinway Technical

Thomas Seay t.seay at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 1 13:21:05 MDT 2006

>  > Do you lubricate after polishing with Flitz?  Or does the "no
>>  residue" rust preventer provide adequate lubrication?  Is ProLube
>>  follow-up unnecessary?
>
>I use McLube either sprayed or brushed on the pins after Flitzing them. I
>also lube bushings and balance hole with teflon powder as described by
>others.

I learned something interesting from a class in Rochester by David
Vanderlip. After polishing the pins with Flitz, he recommends
cleaning the pin with naptha before applying McLube. This removes
quite a bit of residue from the pin, which he says can become
somewhat gummy if not removed. I'm not sure if the stuff that's
removed is the "no residue" rust preventer or not, but there's sure a
lot of it, whatever it is.

Try it and see how much gunk comes off the pins. You might be
surprised. I sure was.

Tom