[CAUT] comparisons

Aaron Bousel abousel at comcast.net
Thu Aug 17 17:14:48 MDT 2006

Typically we (UMass Amherst) get 3 small grands, one U1 and 10 P22.
I'd agree with everything said about the P22. I've just been told
that the dealer is pushing some T116 and T121 in place of the some of
the P22. I'm trying to sort out the differences between these models
and also to give advice as to whether we should be making a fuss
about getting these in place of the P22. (We get 14 pianos and are
required to buy one, so far it's always been a P22 because of budget
restraints.)

I've gone to the Yamaha website and here's what I've come up with so far:

The T116 looks roughly equivalent to the P22 except that it has a
polyester finish, weighs 71 pounds less and is 3" narrower back to
front. Because of the weight difference I'm guessing this means less,
or no, back structure. Both are made in USA.

The T121 weighs 49 pounds less than the P22 but is 3" taller. Also
has heavier hammers (22lb vs. 14 lb) than the T116 and P22.

The U1 (just for comparison since that's one we're all familiar with)
weighs 24 pounds more than the T121, but is also 25 pounds lighter
than the P22.

Interestingly neither the T121 nor the U1 say where they are made,
though we know the U1 is made in Japan.

Another interesting fact: They all have the same length (44.5")
listed for the first bass string.

I've never seen the T116 or T121 so I'm wondering if anyone has any
experience with these. On paper it looks as though the T121 might be
a step up from the P22. I guess I could drive the 40 minutes to go to
the dealer and check them out, but I'm on contract and that would be
on my nickel, plus I've got a mess of pianos to tune before the
beginning of September.

If you've seen or worked on either the T116 or T121 I'd love to know
how you found them in comparison to the P22

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Aaron

Aaron Bousel
Registered Piano Technician, Piano Technicians Guild
abousel at comcast.net
(413) 253-3846 (voice & fax)