[CAUT] New Department Administrators

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Jun 16 04:28:18 MDT 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 1:24 AM, Chris Solliday wrote:

> Rob, With 4 contracts for over 25 years I have seen so many come
> and go I don't even want to count them. For me the only thing that
> has ever worked well other than doing a good job and becoming
> trusted is to keep pounding the "Guidelines." The suggestions in
> there, relating to the issues you raise, are right on the money and
> can help. Certainly having only one person, the "piano overseer,"
> working with you is first,

My opinion is that the "piano overseer" should be us.

> and setting up a budget that reflects the recognition that
> maintenance of an inventory includes three parts replacement fund,
> rebuilding fund and yearly maintenance fund is primary. It can be
> done with patience over time, with education, and I admit I have
> spent a few dollars on nicely printed versions of the Guidelines to
> help impress them, but it has been money well spent. If your
> replacement (with new) value of your inventory is over $600,000.oo
> then the recommended 10% gives you 20,000 each for the three areas.

Remember that includes salaries.  But $600,000 isn't a very large
inventory anymore either.  My 125 pianos come in at a cool $4.3
million.  But no administrator is going to give you $430K to maintain
125 pianos.  They're comparing what their neighbors are budgeting per
instrument -- not per replacement value.

(and no, it isn't Steinway driving that value up.  We have 62 Baldwins.)

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina