[CAUT] New Department Administrators

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Thu Jun 15 23:24:08 MDT 2006

Rob, With 4 contracts for over 25 years I have seen so many come and go I don't even want to count them. For me the only thing that has ever worked well other than doing a good job and becoming trusted is to keep pounding the "Guidelines." The suggestions in there, relating to the issues you raise, are right on the money and can help. Certainly having only one person, the "piano overseer," working with you is first, and setting up a budget that reflects the recognition that maintenance of an inventory includes three parts replacement fund, rebuilding fund and yearly maintenance fund is primary. It can be done with patience over time, with education, and I admit I have spent a few dollars on nicely printed versions of the Guidelines to help impress them, but it has been money well spent. If your replacement (with new) value of your inventory is over $600,000.oo then the recommended 10% gives you 20,000 each for the three areas. I suspect your's is much larger. Should be a good starting point anyway, and whether you're contracted or employeed it works the same way.  Once these basics are in place the lumps sometimes materialize to bring things "up to date" or "snuff" or whatever they (the money overseers) call it. I had one school recently, with the above in place for a number of years, suddenly "find" enough money on top of the funds to buy 5 new pianos and rebuild two in one year. Preparing and presenting an Inventory Assessment and a Comprehensive Maintenance Plan, and keeping them up to date, are good starting places with new people. I wouldn't worry too much about who the folks are, but stick to the facts and educate them. Your program should speak for itself.
Chris Solliday