[CAUT] lacquor

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 16 23:32:23 MDT 2006

Chris,

At 08:31 PM 6/16/2006, you wrote:
>Horace, I think there is another way to look at keytop and that is as a
>cherry on top effect and I apply it to specific string cuts with a toothpick
>and that's all I use it for. Dan Harteau from Detroit area showed me this
>technique and I have it very effective for the last few years.

What you are describing here is how and why the use of keytop was
originally introduced - customers would almost-but-not-quite like the
"brilliance" of a specific piano...whilst they were out having lunch
with the salesperson, someone from the service department would throw
a light keytop solution across the tops of the hammers, wait a bit,
and then smooth things out with some "sugar coating"...Voila!...a
sale.  Before long, however, it had mutated into being used for/as a
primary voicing medium, especially, after Franz retired, in the C&A department.

>  That and the
>top 4 or 5 notes are the only way I use it but in that case I use acetone as
>a thinner and think it combines better when the lacquer underneath has been
>thinned with acetone. Or is it that it seems not to combine well with the
>lacquer thinner and the acetone is better by comparison.

If there is time, which there seldom is, anymore, the lacquer thinner
will give you a more solid base for shaping and voicing.  Acetone
burns off a too low a temperature, and leaves more hardener close to
the surface of the hammer, even when it is fairly well flooded
in.  This is especially noticeable when using a thicker solution, but
appears to happen consistently otherwise, as well.

>Well anyway I must
>agree a good result can be had without ever using the stuff at all but there
>are those situations when I'm glad to have it.

Oh, yes...absolutely!

>Incidentally Kent Webb's most recent (a few weeks ago) indication to me was
>to mix their lacquer 8-1 to get used to it and then work thicker from there.
>It is water white nitrocellulose lacquer 24% solids and available from
>Steinway Parts.

That approach, and/or using lacquer sanding sealer in the same
ratios, is what I always suggest for people experimenting with this
kind of voicing.  FWIW, this is another advantage of using lacquer or
sanding sealer over keytop...that is, in lighter solutions, and
especially when using lacquer thinner instead of acetone, it is
possible to add more hardener more easily.  Once the keytop "sets",
it is not going to be too subject to moving around.

Best.

Horace