[CAUT] becoming a university tech. HELP!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jun 30 18:32:38 MDT 2006

Hi Daniel,
    Don¹s advice is very good. I¹ll add that one could bid ³parts at x%
discount from list² or something along those lines, as a ³teaser.² I did
that years ago, and it provided the department an excuse to hire me over a
competing bid which came at a lower per hour. As an ³option² one could offer
a discount for prompt payment (2% 10, net 30, or something along those
lines. The likelihood of any music program actually paying a bill within ten
days is infinitesimal, but offering terms like that can be a competitive
advantage). With respect to gross receipts tax, I think they are just
wanting to make sure they are clear whether you are including it in your per
service or per hour bid, or whether it is an add on. IOW, they are asking
you to provide a bid that includes the tax, so all bids are on a level
playing field.
    This post brings up an issue that I think we, as a caut community,
should address: the bidding process, how we can best respond, how we can
best educate the music programs about the process. I think most of us are
agreed that bidding piano service is a horrible idea, which leads to bad
results. It is, however, a reality in many higher education situations, and
probably most K-12 situations.
    Are there people on this list who have dealt successfully with this sort
of system? Any good strategies? Ways to influence the system to push it
toward qualified personnel rather than lowest dollar?

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico