[CAUT] re: capsizing / catstrophic action failure

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Mar 7 03:32:20 MST 2006

  Hi Dorrie.

I am not sure I understand the subject title you chose her relative to
the actual subject matter discussed below.  That said. The problem with
Freds origional statement such as it is, is that it is far to broad in
scope. There can be all kinds of reasons why a board can find itself in
the condition of being flat with zip diddly DB. Some of those reasons
combine with other factors to result in a bad sound... others not.
Nossaman did not elaborate in his reply either. But he is right as far
as far as it goes.  At least no respected rebuilder/designer I know of
would make such a wide sweeping claim as Freds statement suggests
without further clarification. Quite the opposite actually.  Some of the
most well know designers do not believe designing crown or DB into the
system is absolutely neccessary at all.

That said... I think I understand where Fred is comming from and if I
understand that correctly... well I'd aggree. Fred... if you'd care to
specify more closely what was on your mind I for one would find it
interesting.

Cheers
RicB

 My experience has led me to take with a grain of salt claims that
 > > flat boards and zero DB mean a piano is unusable. I don't find it so,
 > > personally. But I'm just one guy out here with my own limited
 > > experiences and acuity.
 > > Regards,
 > > Fred Sturm
 >
 > Fred,
 > I'd agree if I knew of anyone having made such a claim, but I
 > don't.
 > Ron N
 > ______

This claim was made at a New England regional meeting by a rebuilder from
maybe Connecticut? It was the intellectual basis of his presentation, but
he said that he was unwilling to defend the premise if there were any
physicists in the audience, so I stopped listening.
(He also states that he was nervous because of the presence of highly
respected rebuilders.) It was an odd session.

Dorrie Bell
Boston, MA