[CAUT] Unison Drift and Humidity

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Wed Mar 8 09:18:10 MST 2006

Jim,

Thanks for contributing to this.  Very thought provoking post.

Ron Nossaman has talked about bridge cap shrinking / swelling as well,
with the resulting apparent shortening and lengthening of the exposed
portion of the bridge pins.

The grain direction of the wood in the bridge cap would also bear on
both of these issues, with vertical grain (quarter-sawn) caps moving the
most vertically, and horizontal grain moving more horizontally.  It
seems to me that these would affect how the strings would drift in
tuning as well.

Don Mannino RPT