[CAUT] IRe: Unison drift (was Reading low humidity/seasonal SB failure)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Mar 8 17:36:45 MST 2006

Hi Greg,
    When I first noticed this, I suspected tuning technique, sequence,
whatever. I experimented in many ways. Initially I tuned completely aurally,
completely strip muted. I pulled unisons in different ways, sometimes all
right strings from the top (pulling the mute one at a time), then left
strings from the bottom. And other permutations, particularly when I
switched to SAT about ten years ago (and was able to quantify it). I have
tuned left string first, right string first, middle string first. Doesn't
matter. I have convinced myself over the years that I can actually do a
solid tuning, but that severe RH change will affect my unisons.
    Now the extreme case I mentioned, on Yamaha G-2s, happens in the late
summer, after a rise of a good 40%, with the average pitch of the piano at
+25 - 40 cents. Far more common are more subtle changes. But it was the G-2s
that really got me thinking about it, making notes to myself, documenting.
    I now use RCT, and it is very convenient for observing this phenomenon.
In pitch raise mode, simply read left and right strings alternately, unison
by unison, as you tune upward (or whatever direction). Then go back and read
those numbers, and see if you have a saw tooth pattern for the most part.
Sometimes it's subtle, just a cent or two on average, other times it is
quite striking.
    Again, I don't claim to have reliable answers to why, but I do have a
pretty good wealth of years of observation. I'll throw out another couple
things I have observed, having to do with pitch change in response to RH
along the treble bridge:
1) On most pianos, the typical pattern has a large change at the bottom of
the treble bridge, lowest plain wires, which decreases up to the treble
break, then just above the break there is a big leap of pitch change.
Strangely, Hamiltons do something different. Same large change at the bottom
of the bridge, tapering to about midway towards the break, but then pitch
change increases again approaching the break. Above the break, pitch change
is suddenly less.
2) High treble varies a lot from model to model. On Hamiltons and some
Steinways (especially 1098s) the top couple octaves tend to be the furthest
off pitch, maybe 40 cents sharp where the tenor was 25 cents. Yamahas tend
to have more movement elsewhere (tenor, just above treble break), but the
high treble is closer to pitch than other areas.
    I suppose there must be reasons, but I haven't found them. But I know
what to expect, and it makes my life seem a little more rational, less
random, I guess.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico