[CAUT] Rebuilding Value

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Mar 10 07:24:44 MST 2006

This whole issue just rings my bell!  "Value" is too vague a word in
this context.  There is "monetary-value" and "musical-value".  In this
case those two items might be mutually exclusive.  We can't deny that
there are people who will pay more money for something that is presented
as more "authentic" than another.  Much of antique value is not because
something is more useful or better functioning but rather because it is
a genuine Waterford or whatever.  On the other hand it might have more
musical value because it has Renner wippens, Ronsen hammers and a
Ferrell sounding board.  When the word "value" is used with no
appropriate modifiers the whole issue becomes too nebulous to even
discuss.

I agree with Chris that PTG doesn't have a dog in this fight.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt at smu.edu