[CAUT] Chickering Quarter Grand

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Mar 17 04:37:11 MST 2006

Bob,

At 09:03 PM 3/16/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>At a small college that I  just added as a new
>customer, I  tuned a Chickering Quarter Grand today.
>
>I pulled the action to try to improve regulation on
>some of the most offensive notes and ran into a set-up
>that is unfamiliar to me.
>
>No cheek blocks:

No cheek blocks?  I seem to recall that there were vestigial ones, about
1/4" thick, with attachment screws which went into the rim and were
accessed below the keys.

>what is there to hold the action in
>the correct position - just  the dags and the keyslip?

Force of habit?  I only get to see the one in my client base about every
other year - this is the off year and CRS is hitting.

>Hammer Flanges and shanks at an angle similar to the
>back half of the key stick.

...and hammers hung at interesting angles because of it. Chickering had a
habit of doing that.  It took them a while to get away from their square
piano habits.

>Wippen flanges - I couldn't see them clearly beneath
>the hammer rest rail but the wippens were very wobbly
>side to side so much so that they were rubbing. Didn't
>have time to dig into them and see why.

How are you at brass flange repair??
;-{

>Were these a decent little grand in their day?

Opinions vary...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.