[CAUT] pedal squeal

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Wed Mar 22 11:28:07 MST 2006

Hi Don,

I'm coming in a little late on this one, so pardon me if I missed some
suggestions.

In the insta-cure category, I stand the action on end, use the key-slip (for
instance) to press all the levers away from the rod, then drizzle McLube all
the way down the rod. You can see it travel down, and should allow it to dry
before releasing.

It offers a decent coating thickness and has been the one-timer for every
situation I can think of.

The long term repair is to replace the cloth... if it's glazed, or glue
infused, the noise will return. Having been a travelin' man myself for a
number of years can tell you it's not that big a deal to fit into the day's
tuning schedule:

1.) Pack three thicknesses of action cloth (it's usually the "medium") , a
cutting-mat, sharp blades etc.

2.) Begin at the client's home first thing, number and remove the levers,
soaking each cloth at the glue joint as you go (wall-paper remover &
syringe), and placing levers cloth-side "up."

3.) Make another pass with the soaking solution, and hopefully by the end of
this rotation, they will begin to peel (unless it's a modern glue).
Otherwise, go ahead to #5 and repeat the soak & peel test later.

4.) When the cloths are removed, use a scraper to clean the surface, then
lay a Dampp-Chaser bar over the row of levers, at the glue lines and plug it
in. (will reverse the flow of moisture into the wood by creating a gradient)

5.) Now you should be able to pre-cut your cloth, and head to your next
tuning.

After lunch, the levers should be quite dry and ready for glueing in the new
cloth.

Note: The cloth is glued at each end, but not in the middle, back of where
the spoon contacts. (if it was, then you've discovered where the noise came
from.:>)

6.) I would simply use some small spring clamps (Dollar store item) over
each glue line and rotate them in leap-frog fashion as you go.

Hint: In the shop we try get some "stretch" in the material, by
glueing/clamping one end, allowing it to dry, then the other. (and this,
only in the course of an action rebuilding)

7.) By the time the last section is in clamps you can begin re-installing
the first ones.

The other items include:

1.) Re-bushing the hangers; fit the cloth, size the new bushings with an
alcohol-soaking, then when dry, coat the pins with Super-lube. (or other
high-load synth. grease)

2.) Fine steel-wooling of the rod, followed by a heavy slip-coating (I use
the grey-ish McLube spray, don't recall the number)

3.) Inspect the trapwork down to the pedal (save a 4 hour call back :>(

This service should be easy to accomplish within two service calls (1.5 - 2
hours each), one in the morning and one in the afternoon, with plenty of
time to get a few other tunings in.

Much as I love tuning, many times I enjoyed the variety of one or two
"non-tuning" service slots during a day-trip.

Enjoy!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University