[CAUT] pedal squeal

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Mar 22 10:22:56 MST 2006

At 08:30 AM 3/22/2006 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>It is the rod against the damper lever felts.

I see -- yes the cloth can get a glaze on it.

What I've done is to remove the action, turn it around,
and prop it up with a big C-clamp at the base of an action
bracket, so it won't tip over easily (or put it into
an action cradle). Then I push on a batch of the levers,
so that a small space opens between the rod (and spoons)
and the cloth, and rub the cloth with teflon powder on
a wedge of scrap hammer cloth. The rubbing helps to
break up the glaze, even aside from the teflon powder.

A little hard on the knuckles (human), but not too difficult.
Afterwards, work the rod extremely slowly, with your ear
next to the action, to see if you've missed any.

Susan