[CAUT] Dampp-Chasers in institutional setting

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 07:40:35 MST 2006

Hi Simone,

Plan on one hour to install on an upright and 2.5 hours to install on a
Grand with back covers and bottom covers. The pads will need to be
exchanged for clean ones every six months and once per year all the tanks
will need to be drained and have their liners replaced. I prefer the smart
bar installation--so some time will be needed to clean the bar as well. I'd
allow 30 minutes per year for uprights and one hour for grands. I find I
get even better results when pads are changed every three months--less
cleaning is necessary. I also suggest they drain the tanks in October and
then again in April. I do have my clients trained to "recondition" the pads
which works very well.

Upright costs

Unit
1 hour to install with back cover
30 minutes per year to change pads 2X and drain reservoir 1X (October) and
change liner
new pads every six months

Grand Costs

Unit
2.5 hours to install with bottom cover
1 hour per year to change pads 2X and drain reservoir 1x (October) and
change liner.
new pads every six months

Train the maintenance persons to fill when flashing. There is sufficent
reserve to last over a week end.

Plan on a work bee just before Christmas to top up all humidifiers. This
should "carry" them for nearly two weeks. This will allow for an annual
inspection of the units so that any deficiencies can be dealt with.

At the moment, there is no way to check how much water is in the units
other than a visual inspection for uprights (pull the kick plate), and
"dipping your fingers" in on grands. This is not much of a chore on
uprights--but a real nuisance on grands. I'd suggest a "custom designed"
addition of a "full water light" that glows only when the reservoir is full.

I'd recommend a "student assistant" be trained to check water levels before
any school closure holidays as well as changing the pads, cleaning the
smart bar, and draining the units.

At 07:29 AM 3/23/2006 -0500, you wrote:

>Cost break down:  Dampp-Chaser units, cost in maintaining
>them, approach to maintaining them  etc.

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner