[CAUT] Dampp-Chasers in institutional setting

Simone Tucci Piano Tuner-Technician tuccisimone at rogers.com
Thu Mar 23 13:42:51 MST 2006

Hi List

Thanks for all the input. I am hoping for more posts. I guess when everyone
his home from work.

The climate issue at this major institution is a big problem. The case here
is that the institution has rented out a temporary building while their
original building is being built (rebuilt). This will take perhaps 3-4 more
years. So, the entire school has moved to this temporary building. They have
been there since Jan 05. Since that time 60% of the pianos have developed
soundboard cracks and rim delaminations (rim cracks) + all the wonderful
regulation issues.

So, the institutions solution was to install these humidifiers to help.
Which is not the answer. Also, its not only a problem now that it is dry.
Last summer (which was the first summer that all the pianos had at this
location) the pianos experienced the other extreme.

We have been experiencing 1/2 tone sharp/flat from winter to summer (1 tone
total deviation) not too healthy.....So, what do we do???!!!

Hope for more posts!

thanks

SIMONE TUCCI
Piano Tuner-Technician