[CAUT] Flight of the Broken Bass Sting?

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Sat Mar 25 08:11:42 MST 2006

Jeff,

It has happened to me once (so far)--in 24 years.  Lower bass of an 8' Seiler.  It shot out, flew across the room and hit an armoire.  Fortunately, it was a French country painted style (flowers, etc) and I could see no damage.  Whew!  I didn't want to have the opportunity to find out how good my liability insurance was.

That was the only bass string that ever broke on that particular piano while I was tuning it (after that I treated it like an old rusty stringed piano and let down the tension a bit on each string before tuning (and crossed my fingers).  I moved away from the area and when I came back, the custmer called and asked me to service the piano again.  Apparently the piano had been through some rough times--lots of broken strings (while tuning).  It had just come back from restringing when I serviced it again.  The customer told me that he had called Seiler about the problem and they told him that string breakage wouldn't be a problem if the tuner let the tension down on the string first.

I've talked to other techs who say they routinely use the let-it-down-first technique and report they don't break many strings.  Well, I haven't used the technique exclusively, but I haven't broken a lot of strings either.  I'd be interested in hearing opinions on it.

Fairy tales, do come true--it could happen to you...but, I'd rather not have it happen again.  I think I'll start keeping the lid down while tuning the bass.

Barbara Richmond