[CAUT] Hammer Alignment

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 26 09:42:58 MST 2006

Hi Jon,

I believe the wood may be changing dimensions due to environment. I have
documented changes in pianos where humidity control has been put in *after*
a 3 day regulation process. The hammer line isn't a hammer line any
more--more like a zig zag, and some notes have no letoff.

It happens in brand new instruments too. If all the wood were from the same
tree...they would move at the same rate. Perhaps this is another reason
that Kawai may be on to a "good thing" with their new technology parts.

It would be very interesting to monitor a piano on a monthly basis to see
what is "going on" with the parts particularly in some place with a vicious
climate.

At 08:02 AM 3/26/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Is it just me or am I crazy but I've noticed a misalignment
>of hammers after a year or two.

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner