[CAUT] Flight of the Broken Bass Sting? (was:: Adams 1/4tonesharp piano)

Jeff Olson jlolson at cal.net
Mon Mar 27 12:35:35 MST 2006

 EW:

"Alright, you guys are getting me paranoid now..I've  severely duct-taped a piece of cardboard over the hitch-pins and rear string segments of my poor M and sent out warnings to all involved. In the 28 years I've been in this business I've never seen a bass string go ballistic but I believe you all."

About the same number of years for me, Eric, and never had that experience, either.  I even went through a brief phase where I cut the bass strings "south" of the agraffe under full tension -- and still never observed a string fly from the piano.  (I recall them flipping about and tearing up damper felt and such, but otherwise nothing terribly airborne.)

One great thing about a list like this is that you have access to hundreds (or thousands?:-) of culmulative years of experience, which can include events, repairs, problems, etc., which one has personally never encountered.

Best,

Jeff O.