[CAUT] Flight of the Broken Bass Sting? (was:: Adams 1/4 tonesharp piano)

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon Mar 27 12:14:18 MST 2006

"I wasn't there when it happened, but I replaced the bass string (G23,
right unison), which during the church song service, flung itself out of
the tail end of the piano, narrowly missing the minister standing on the
platform, oh, 15 to 20 feet away.  And that was at 440.  The piano -- a
Baldwin R of similar vintage as the M Eric is using."

Jeff Tanner

Did he praise the lord?

Alright, you guys are getting me paranoid now....I've  severely
duct-taped a piece of cardboard over the hitch-pins and rear string
segments of my poor M and sent out warnings to all involved. In the 28
years I've been in this business I've never seen a bass string go
ballistic but I believe you all...

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati