[CAUT] Hammer wear, was Re: Re. Flight of Broken Bass String

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Mon Mar 27 16:10:15 MST 2006

On the same subject as strings breaking while playing, how about excessive
wear on hammers? I have noticed that some pianos that had been played "a  lot,"
the hammers didn't seem all that worn out. While on others, I  have seen
hammers on relatively new instruments (less than 5 years old),  with about the
same amount of use, that were extremely worn out.

With the discussion of the kind of playing that caused strings to  break, is
the same true for hammer wear? Does different kinds of playing cause  hammers
to wear out faster than other kinds? I'm not a pianist, so I can't  compare
playing styles. I do know that some players "attack" the keys, while  other seem
to play them. Is that the difference?

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician