[CAUT] Hammer wear, was Re: Re. Flight of Broken Bass String

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Mar 27 17:28:49 MST 2006

Wim:

I think it has to do with the type of hammer.  I did some action work on a Steinway M today that is two years old.  I had filed the hammers last August and the grooves are serious now.  The Wurzen felt hammers I hung last summer are still looking very good.  All these are in practice rooms with the same kind of playing by a variety of heavy hitters.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University