[CAUT] Hammer wear, was Re: Re. Flight of Broken Bass String

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Mon Mar 27 20:22:11 MST 2006

I'm not at all surprised. Some years back I ran some life tests on various
action parts, including hammers.

I observed that less resilient hammers (so-called "hard-pressed" German and
Japanese hammers) grooved faster than more resilient hammers. The other hammers
in the test were standard Baldwin grand hammers and Ronsen hammers w/Bacon felt
sized to match the Baldwin hammers. Standard Baldwin hammers without lacquer
lasted longer than an adjacent hammer from the same set but with lacquer and the
Ronsen hammers without lacquer lasted longer than hammers from the same set with
lacquer.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication