[CAUT] Hammer Alignment

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 08:11:50 MST 2006

In a message dated 3/27/2006 11:13:17 PM Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

Do they  always end up twisting in the same direction?  One thought is that
if  you burn the shanks for straightening at the initial installation and  you
hold the heat gun, say, in your right hand, you might be heating one  side of
the shank more than the other which might create some unequal  tension in the
shank that might play out over the period of a few weeks or  months.

I have been reading these post with interest. I seem to be getting the
impression that some of you are heating and bending the shank to move a hammer.  I
personally think that might be causing the problem Jon first mentioned. It has
 been my experience that the best way to burn hammers is heat the glue joint
enough to allow me to twist the hammer. I then hold the hammer in its new
position for the glue to solidify. I have never had a hammer move after that. I
don't think the heat does any damage to the glue. I use Tightbond, BTW.

Wim